Someone asked: “How do we know that Allah loves a person?”
Well, the answer is as follows:
What are the signs of Allaah’s love for His slave?
Praise be to Allaah.
You have asked about a serious and weighty matter, which none attain but very few of the righteous slaves of Allaah.
The love of Allaah is “the status for which the righteous compete and strive… It is the nourishment of hearts and souls… the delight of the eyes… It is the life of which one who is denied it is dead… the light which the one who loses it is in deep darkness… the healing of which the one who is denied is sick… the joy which the one who is deprived of it lives in distress and pain…
It is the spirit of faith and good deeds… by means of which one may draw closer to Allaah… which, when it is absent, one is like a body in which there is no soul.”
O Allaah, make us among those whom You love.
The love of Allaah has signs and causes which are like the key to the door. These causes include the following:
1 –Following the guidance of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Allaah says in His Holy Book (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say (O Muhammad to mankind): If you (really) love Allaah, then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow the Qur’aan and the Sunnah), Allaah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:31]
2-5 – Being humble towards the believers and stern towards the kaafirs, waging jihad for the sake of Allaah, and not fearing anyone or anything but Him. Allaah has mentioned these qualities in a single verse, in which He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“O you who believe! Whoever from among you turns back from his religion (Islam), Allaah will bring a people whom He will love and they will love Him; humble towards the believers, stern towards the disbelievers, fighting in the way of Allaah, and never fear of the blame of the blamers”
In this verse Allaah describes the attributes of those whom He loves, the first of which is: humility and not being arrogant towards the Muslims, and being stern towards the kaafirs, and not humbling or humiliating oneself before them. They (the ones whom Allaah loves) strive for the sake of Allaah, against the Shaytaan, the kuffaar, the hypocrites and the evildoers, and they strive against their own selves (jihad al-nafs). They do not fear the blame of any blamer, because so long as they are following the commands of their religion, he will not care about anyone who mocks him or blames him.
6 – Doing naafil (supererogatory) acts of worship. Allaah says – according to a hadeeth qudsi – “My slave keeps drawing near to me by means of supererogatory acts of worship until I love Him.” Supererogatory acts of worship include naafil prayers, charity, ‘Umrah, Hajj and fasting.
8-12 – Loving, visiting one another, helping one another (financially) and offering sincere advice to one another for the sake of Allaah.
These attributes were mentioned in a single hadeeth in which the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) narrated that his Lord said: “My love is guaranteed for two who love one another for My sake; My love is guaranteed for two who visit one another for My sake; My love is guaranteed for two who help one another (financially) for My sake; My love is guaranteed to two who uphold ties with one another for My sake.”
Narrated by Ahmad, 4/236 and 5/236; al-Tanaasuh by Ibn Hibbaan, 3/338; the two ahaadeeth were classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb wa’l-Tarheeb, 3019, 3020, 3021.
What is meant by “two who visit one another for My sake” is that they only visit one another for the sake of Allaah, seeking thereby His pleasure for their loving one another for His sake or cooperating in worshipping Him.
From al-Muntaqa Sharh al-Muwatta’, hadeeth 1779.
13 – Being tested. Calamities and disasters are a test for a person, and this is a sign that Allaah loves him, because this is like medicine: even though it is bitter, but still you offer the medicine, despite its bitterness, to the one whom you love; and Allaah’s is the highest description. According to a saheeh hadeeth: “The greatest reward comes from the greatest trial. When Allaah loves people, He tests them, and whoever accepts it gains the pleasure of Allaah and whoever complains earns His wrath.
Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2396; Ibn Maajah, 4031; classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani.
For calamities to befall the believer is better than punishments being stored up for him in the Hereafter. How can it be otherwise when he is raised in status and his bad deeds are erased thereby? The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah wills good for His slave, He hastens his punishment in this world, and when He wills bad for His slave, He withholds his sins until he comes with them on the Day of Resurrection.”
Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2396; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani.
The scholars have explained that the one from whom calamities and trials are withheld is the hypocrite, for Allaah withholds [his punishment] in this world, so as to bring him with all his sins on the Day of Resurrection.
O Allaah, make us among those whom You love.
If Allaah loves you, do not ask about the good that you will attain and the virtue that you will acquire… it is sufficient for you to know that you are beloved of Allaah. The great fruits of the love of Allaah for His slave are as follows:
1 – People will love him and he will be accepted on earth, as it says in the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari (3209): “When Allaah loves a slave, He says to Jibreel, ‘I love so-and-so, so love him,’ so Jibreel loves him and then calls out to the people of heaven, ‘Allaah loves so-and-so, so love him,’ and the people of heaven love him, and then acceptance is placed in the Earth for him.”
2 – What Allaah has mentioned in the hadeeth qudsi of the great virtues of those whom He loves. It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whosoever shows enmity to someone devoted to Me, I shall be at war with him. My servant draws not near to Me with anything more loved by Me than the religious duties I have enjoined upon him, and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it. I do not hesitate about anything as much as I hesitate about [seizing] the soul of My faithful servant: he hates death and I hate hurting him.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6502.
This hadeeth qudsi includes a number of benefits of Allaah’s love for His slave:
(i) “I am his hearing with which he hears” i.e., he does not listen to anything but that which Allaah loves.
(ii) “his seeing with which he sees” i.e., he does not see anything but that which Allaah loves.
(iii) “his hand with which he strikes” i.e., he does not do anything with his hand but that which Allaah loves.
(iv) “and his foot with which he walks” i.e., he does not go towards anything but that which Allaah loves.
(v) “Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him” i.e., his du’aa’s are heard and his requests are granted.
(vi) “and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it” i.e., he is protected by Allaah from all things…
We ask Allaah to help us to please Him.
And Allaah knows best.
What is the indications of allah’s love for his worshippers and how to achieve it.
Praise be to Allaah.
Almighty Allah said : “Say (O Mohammad -Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam to mankind) : “if you (really) love Allah then follow me (i.e. accept islamic monotheism, follow the Qur’an and Sunnah), Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” Qur’an 3:31.
Abu Huraira Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam. Said, ‘if Allah loves a person, He calls Jibrael (Gabriel) saying,’Allah loves so and so; O Jibrael (Gabriel) love him.’ And make an announcement amongst the inhabitants of the heaven:
“ Allah loves so and so therefore you should love him also, and so all the inhabitans of the heaven would love him, and then he is granted the pleasures of the people on the earth.” Narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.
Abu Huraira Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated tha Allah’s Messenger Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said that Allah said: “I will declare war against him who shows hostility to a pious worshipper of mine And the most beloved things with which My slave comes nearer to Me, is what I have enjoined upon him; and My worshipper keeps on coming closes to Me through perfoming Nawafil (praying or doing extra deeds besides what is (obligatory) till I love him, then I become his sense of hearing with which he hears, and his sense of sight with which he sees, and his hands with which he grips, and his legs with which he walks; and if he ask Me, I will give him, and if he ask My Protection (Refuge), I will Protect him.” Narrated by Al-Bukhari.
A-The EXCELLENCE OF RECITING THE QUR’AN
1. Abu Umamah Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that he heard the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam saying: “ Read the Qur’an (regularly) for it will act as an intercessor for its readers on the Day of Resurrection.” Narrated by Muslim.
2. Uthman Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said: “ The best among you (muslims) are those who learn the Qur’an and teach it (to others).” Narrated by Al-Bukhari.
3. Abdullah bin Mas’ud Radhiallahu ‘anhu reported that the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said : “when somebody recites one letter from the Qur’an he will get one good deed in recompense will be equal to ten good deeds. I do not say that Alif Lam Meem is a letter, but A is a letter, L is a letter and M is a letter i.e it is equal to three letters.” Narrated by At-Tirmithi.
B-The EXCELLENCE OF THIKR ALLAH (REMEMBERING ALLAH I.E., GLORIFYING AND PRAISING HIM ETC.)
1. Abu Huraira Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said : “ A person who recites after every salah (prayer) : sub-han- Allah (glory be to Allah) thirty three times, Al-ham-do Lil-lah (all praise belongs to Allah) thirty three times and Al-la-ho Akbar (Allah is great) thirthy three times, and completes the figure of hundred with the recitacion of La ilaha ila Allah wahdahu lasharikalahu lahu almulku walahu alhamdu wahuwa ala kul shai in qadeer.
“ None has the right to be worshipped but Allah and He has no partner in Lordship or in the Names and and the Qualities and for Him is the kingdom and all the praises and thanks are for Him and he is Omnipotent “will have his (minor) sins forgiven, although they may be as much as the foam of the sea. Narrated by Muslim.
2. Abu Huraira Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that Allah’s Messenger Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said: “Who-ever says ‘Subhan Allahi wa bihamdi hi, one hundred time a day, will be forgiven all his sins even if they were as much as the foam of the sea.” Narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.
3. Abu Musa Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said : “The similitude of the one who remembers (glorifies the praises of) his Lord (Allah) in comparison to the one who dos not remember (glorify the praises of) his, Lord, is like that of a living and the dead.” Narrated by Al-Bukhari.
C-INVOKING ALLAH’S BLESSING UPON THE PROPHET Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam.
1. Almighty Allah said : “ Allah and His Angels send blessing on the Prophet, O you who believe ! send your (salah) and salute (greet) on him with a worthy salutation.” Qur’an 33:56.
2. Abdullah bin ‘Amr bin Al-‘Aas Radhiallahu ‘anhu said that he heard the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam saying : “A person who calls for blessings on me, (recites salah) once, Allah sends down mercies on him ten times.” Narrated by Muslim.
Love of Allah
Ibn al-Qaiyim mentioned ten causes that result in Allah’s love for His slave and the slave’s love for his Lord. [These ten are:]
First, reciting the Qur’an while pondering over its meanings and what is meant by it.
Second, getting closer to Allah by performing voluntary deeds after completing obligatory deeds. This is as is stated in a Hadith Qudsi: “My slave continues getting closer to Me by performing voluntary deeds until I love him.” [al-Bukhari]
Third, continual remembrance of Allah under all circumstances, with one’s tongue, heart and actions. The extent of one’s love of Allah is determined by this.
Fourth, giving precedence to what He loves over what you love when you are overtaken by your desires.
Fifth, the heart being avid of Allah’s Names, and Attributes and the heart roaming in that garden of knowledge.
Sixth, observing Allah’s kindness, goodness and bounties, both hidden and open.
Seventh, and this is the most wonderful, the heart being soft, subdued and meek before Allah.
Eighth, being alone with Allah during the time when the Lord descends during the last portion of the night while reading His Book and ending that by asking for forgiveness and repenting.
Ninth, sitting with the beloved and sincere, benefitting from the most fruitful of their speech. And not to speak unless speaking is more beneficial and you know that it will improve your state and be beneficial to others.
Tenth, remaining away from every cause that comes between the heart and Allah.
These ten causes take the lovers to the station of true love and bring them to their Beloved.
Causes That Bring About the Love For The Lord of the Worlds
Imam Ibn Rajab
(1) Recognizing the bounties Allah has bestowed upon His slaves. These bounties [are so many that they] cannot be counted or enumerated. [Allah says:] “If you count the blessings of Allah, never will you be able to count them.” [14:34]
Hearts naturally have love for those who do good to them. Love for a blessing is from the general aspects of thanking the one who has bestowed a bounty. It is said that thanks is with the heart, tongue and limbs.
(2) Another cause is to have knowledge of Allah by His Names, Attributes and Actions. The one who knows Allah, loves Him. Whoever loves Him, obeys Him. Whoever obeys Allah is honored by Him. Whoever Allah honors, He will have him live close to Him. Whoever lives close to Him, has attained the glad tidings.
(3) One of the great causes [that leads to having love of Allah] is the specific knowledge that comes about through pondering over the creation of the heavens and the earth and what Allah has created. In the Qur’an, there is much mention of the signs of Allah that indicate His Greatness, Power, Majesty, Perfection, Eminence, Compassion, Mercy, Strength, Subjugation and other of His beautiful Names and exalted Attributes. Whenever one’s knowledge of Allah is strengthened, one’s love for Him is also strengthened and one’s love for obeying Him is also strengthened. He will then experience the pleasure of worship, whether it be in prayer, remembrance or other forms of worship.
(4) Another cause that will bring about love for Allah is to act towards Allah with sincerity and purity while going against one’s desires. This is a cause for Allah to bless a slave and when He blesses the slave, the slave loves Him.
(5) One of the greatest causes that bring about one’s love for Allah is increasing one’s remembrance of Allah. Whenever a person loves something, he remembers it more often. And it is through the remembrance of Allah that the hearts find tranquillity. In fact, one of the signs of having love for Allah is the constant remembrance of Allah by one’s heart and tongue.
(6) One of the causes that brings about Allah’s love for His slave is reciting the Qur’an often and pondering over its meaning, in particular those verses that contain Allah’s Names, Attributes and Actions. Having fondness for that action will lead the slave to love Allah and Allah to love Him.
(7) Another of the causes of love for Allah is remembering what has been mentioned in the Qur’an and Sunnah concerning the believers seeing their Lord in the Hereafter and visiting them and gathering together on the Day of Abundance. That will definitely bring about in a person love for Allah.
Also, I’d advise everyone to read the following e-book: Ways to Instigate the Love of Allah.